Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The End of an Era - RIP WinAMP

http://www.winamp.com/media-player/en

Winamp.com and associated web services will no longer be available past December 20, 2013. Additionally, Winamp Media players will no longer be available for download. Please download the latest version before that date. See release notes for latest improvements to this last release.
Thanks for supporting the Winamp community for over 15 years.
I have been a Winamp user since I was 14 or so and it has been installed on every computer I have owned (even ones I didn't own) since.  Winamp is the reason I got into music.  I remember I would use ripping tools to convert CD's to mp3's, using Winamp to organize my library.  This was in the napster era when digital music was taboo and the music industry, instead of embracing the convenience of mp3's shunned them and forced high priced ($26) CD's upon us.  More importantly, the napster/winamp era let me do something the music industry could never help me with, discover new music.  I was able to branch out from what was on the radio with a few clicks.  Winamp also got me into programming/scripting because of the Advanced Visualization Studio, which was a dynamic graphic display powered by beats of the music that was being played.  I made dozens of visualizations using geometry, loops, variables, it made me interested enough to go to school for computer science, of which I work in IT now.

Thank you Winamp.