Thursday, October 17, 2013

Outlook 2013 Protip: disable animations to speed up the responsiveness.

I am running Outlook 2013 on Windows 8 and they are supposed to be a match made in heaven.  Not so much for me, Outlook 2013 is at best clunky and slow, but I know my pc can handle it, core i3-3240, 8gb of ram with an ssd.  So in troubleshooting a ran across this trick to disable animations.  It disables animations for all office programs.

Open regedit and browse to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common

Under Common create a new key:

And name it Graphics


Under the new Graphics key create a new DWORD


Name it DisableAnimation and give it a value of 1.


Double check it is created in: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\Graphics

You can close regedit and because it is a HKCU change I recommend logging off and on of Windows.  After this change I noticed and snappier Outlook environment.